The Swiftie Effect Dominates the NFL

Photo+courtesy+of+Wikimedia+Commons.+
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

World-famous singer Taylor Swift has made Travis Kelce a household name and the NFL is riding the wave.

On September 24, 2023, a special guest made an appearance at the Kansas City football game. Swift was in the VIP box cheering on tight end Travis Kelce. Taylor Swift was with Kelce’s mother, Donna Kelce. Swift can be seen chatting and cheering the whole game. 

Fast forward to a week later, Swift appeared at yet another Kansas City game. This time it was in New York against the Jets. She again, was living large, sitting in the private box along with her Hollywood pals and Kansas City star quarterback Patrick Mahomes’s wife Brittney Mahomes.

They bonded and were seen conversing and cheering on the Chiefs.

As most Swift fans, or “Swifties” know, 13 is a special number to Ms. Swift.

“I was born on the 13th, I turned 13 on Friday the 13th, and my first album went gold in 13 weeks,” Swift said. 

After Ms. Swift’s fans found out about her “romance” with Mr. Kelce, they started digging. Swifties then found that Travis Klece was her thirteenth boyfriend.

Why is the NFL drawing attention away from football to document a relationship?

— Taylor Swift fans

This then leads fans of the relationship to assume they are either getting married, or she is going to make the best album yet. 

The game on Oct. 1 ended in a 23-20 Chiefs win. This game had an average of 27 million viewers and became the second most-watched game in the NFL this season. At most this Chiefs game had 29.4 million viewers. The 29.4 million viewers happened in the time period of 9:30-9:45 p.m. ET. 

During this game, Swift aired 17 different times against the Jets.

This leads viewers to ask, “Why is the NFL drawing attention away from football to document a relationship?” This impact on society is called “the Swifty effect.”

Kelce jersey sales have skyrocketed almost 400% since Swift first appeared in the VIP box at Arrowhead. The sales initially started spiking after the Bears game where Swift initially hit it off with Kelce’s mother.

The sales weren’t only limited to jerseys, however. When making her arrival, Swift made sure to show up in style. During the September 24th Chiefs game, Swift originally wore $1,213 denim shorts. These shorts then all sold out quickly after the game. 

I feel that while the NFL is certainly giving much media attention to Swift I feel like it’s not as big of a deal as people believe.

If anything it’s good because it’s another reason to watch football for some and their romance is definitely expanding the league’s fan base.

After hearing all of this news about football star Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift, will she continue coming to the games?

She didn’t show up in Minnesota against the Vikings and Kelce missed a large part of the game due to an ankle injury. Luckily, he was able to get back in and secure the victory.

I hope, for Kelce, the Chiefs, and the NFL, Swift won’t miss any more games.