Exploring Vietnam Beyond Preconceptions

• Landmark 81, Vietnam’s tallest building, at night.

• The skyline of Ho Chi Minh City at night.

• Boats pass along a section of the Mei Cong River.

• Underneath one of several caves located in Vietnam.

• A raw cocoa bean split open.

• The idyllic view from a riverbank in Vietnam.

• The Independence Palace and its fountain in Ho Chi Minh City.

Editor’s Note: This article was updated with photos from the writer. 

My trip in Vietnam from late October to early November served as an eye-opening experience. The country is undeniably rich in culture and beauty. Pulsating with life and heritage, it struck me how misconceived Vietnam’s image often is in the mainstream American narrative.

Standing tall amidst the bustling streets, the skyscrapers of Vietnam paint a picture of progress. The tallest building, Landmark 81 in Ho Chi Minh City, stands at a mighty 81 floors tall, towering above any building in Massachusetts. It was awe-inspiring to see such development in a place often associated with poverty.

During my journey, I found solace in the safety that enveloped me. Contrary to preconceived notions, Vietnam boasts a remarkably low crime rate. Despite it remains a developing country, Vietnam ranked as a 41st among the safest countries in the world, while the United States ranked a dismal 131st.

As I immersed myself in the vibrant tapestry of Vietnam, I can’t help noticing the deep scars left on the nation. The two-decade Vietnam War was devastating for millions of people in Vietnam, and it still has a strong influence on the citizens today. The country’s landscape was ravaged by chemical warfare like Agent Orange, a chemical that still affects the health of Vietnamese, despite the war ending in April 1975.

Despite the history between the United States and Vietnam, I was welcomed with open arms by the Vietnamese people.  In fact, 59 percent of Vietnamese adults claims they have a favorable view of the United States, reflecting a desire for peace and unity. Many of Vietnam’s closest countries, including Japan, Australia, and the United Kingdom, are also well-known allies of the USA. Despite the dark historic tension, the U.S. and Vietnam continues to strive for a better relationship.

Vietnam’s allure extends far beyond its borders, beckoning travelers to explore its hidden treasures and bask in its splendor. As I reflect on my journey, I’m filled with hope that more Americans will embrace Vietnam’s beauty and extend the hand of friendship.