BREAKING: Gators Defeat Penguins in Quarterfinal Upset

LaDanion Payne ’27 hit the winning shot with 6 seconds left in the game.
Ladanion Payne ’27 scores the winning basket to secure a 63-62 victory.
Melvin Smith/@_melvinsmith

In a breathtaking upset during the NEPSAC AA quarterfinals, the 7th-seeded Gators overcame the second-seeded Cushing Academy Penguins with a dramatic final-second layup by Ladanion Payne ’27, clinching a narrow 63-62 victory.

The final seconds of the game. Video courtesy of Cushing Academy.

The Penguins were heavily favored to win, with home court advantage and an impressive record of 21 wins and 7 losses. By comparison, the Gators went 12-17 during the regular season.

The game was a back-and-forth contest, culminating in a Gator timeout with 13.7 seconds on the clock, down by one point (62-61). With likely only one shot left in the game, Head Coach Tom Nelson had to make a tough decision on who would take it.

The obvious choice would have been Captain Andre Mills ‘24, who was already having an incredible game—but Nelson knew the defense would be marking him.

“Andre had 28 points,” Nelson said. “So I knew that they were going to shadow him and load up on him.”

Podcast: Coach Tom Nelson on Quarterfinal Win
Expand

Tavio

So how were you able to overcome the rocky start at the beginning of the season, excuse me, to now winning against a heavily favored Cushing team?

Coach Nelson

I think we sometimes look at things in a different, I look at things in a different perspective than others. It looked like a rocky start, but what I was doing was playing the elites of New England area early with a lot of young kids, a lot of young student athletes, and I was trying to get them prepared for a day like yesterday to be able to win a game of that nature. So yeah, we had some good wins and some tough losses early in the year, but all it did was, you either, there were two ways you can go.

You can either fall by the wayside and say it's too much, or you can use that to harden yourself and get you prepared. And they got better and better and better as the season went on to the point where we got ourselves into the playoffs. Probably not as high as we wished, but we got there as a seventh seed.

And then we were able to, those games early and that early start allowed us to be able to pull off and be prepared to win a game like yesterday.

Tavio

What made you entrust the game winning shot to LaDanion Payne, who was only a freshman?

Coach Nelson

There's a couple of things that go on as a coach. Again, the season, I've watched his skill set throughout the season. So, I knew what he was able to accomplish, his ability to get downhill and get to the rim.

So, I knew he had those attributes. But I also know that as a freshman, it's a long season and you have a lot of ups-and-downs. In the game, Andre had a spectacular game.

He had 28 points. So I knew that they were going to shadow him and load up on him. And Winston had 20 points.

So I knew that they weren't going to allow him to just roam free and get to the rim as well. So the next person who has the best chance of getting to the rim and getting us a good shot would be Ladanion. So I looked at him in the eye and I said, “you're going to grow up today. you're going to make this shot and I trust you. Do you trust yourself?” And he said, “of course I do.”

History is made.

Tavio

Elaborating on that, why him rather than a more experienced player?

Coach Nelson

I believe in him. I brought him in for a reason. I saw a lot of things in him since he was a 7th grader that others might not have seen.

You got to go with your gut. If you've been coaching a long time, you just go with your gut and what your experience says to you. And I've seen that kid do some amazing things in this year as a true freshman.

So the ability that he could get to the spot that I think he could get to, I just thought he was the best one at the time to be able to make that play in that instance. And I'm glad I was right.

Tavio

How far do you think your team can go in the playoffs?

Coach Nelson

I've been telling them all year, if we get into the playoffs, if we get in, then we could win it. And I still believe that. I believe that the schedule that we played early in the year, the season that we played with, I mean, we played some of the best, I'm telling you, 30 high-level games this entire season.

I always told them, if they let us into this playoffs, this is the year we have a chance to win. And so we're two games from that. We got a big game.

Again, we got to go up against Winchendon on the road at their place on Saturday. It's not going to be easy. And then whoever we play in the finals is going to be phenomenal.

The finals will either be Bradford Christians, the 1C, or Northfield Mount Hermann, who's also a legendary program in the New England area for years, even when I played back in 95 to 2. I'm old now, but back then. So I think we can win the whole thing, but it's going to take another gigantic Herculean effort on Saturday to get a win at Winchendon.

Tavio

How do you motivate players to step up in the big moments?

Coach Nelson

I think there's not something that happens at that moment. I think it's something that you have to instill in them throughout the entire season and every moment that you're with them. And let them know that, first of all, you believe in them.

You let them know who they are as a person. And then when time comes, you call upon that. And they know that you're there for them.

I have a moniker. I say, we got us. I want them to know that we, the group, and those in the past who have played, we all believe in you.

And we're going to continue to believe in you through your ups and downs. And as much as you have failures, there's no such thing. It's just one step closer to success.

So even when you think you take a step backwards, you're really taking a step forward. You still understand it. So I think throughout the entire year, that's how you breed that type of confidence.

And then when the moment happens, you just call upon it.

Tavo

All right. Thank you.

With Andre out of the equation, Nelson felt that the best course of action would be to entrust the fate of the season to LaDanion Payne ‘27.

“The next person who has the best chance of getting to the rim and getting us a good shot would be LaDanion,” Nelson said. “So I looked him in the eye and I said, ‘you’re going to grow up today. You’re going to make this shot and I trust you. Do you trust yourself?’”

For Payne, there was no doubt in his mind of whether he could do it.

“I told him straight up. I was like, ‘I got you, T’. I was ready.”

Payne also acknowledged the work that built up to this moment.

“I do this shot every day,” Payne said. “I do it almost 50 times every time I step on the court, and so I just had the thought, ‘I got this, it’s going in.’”

Payne’s confidence showed in his play. He calmly took the ball up the court, skillfully outpaced two defenders, and layed the ball into the net over a third defender.

“After I hit the shot, at first I was just exhilarated because it went in and we’re up one, but then I just threw it all away for the last six seconds,” Payne said. “I still had to get back on defense. Six seconds is a lot of time.”

Payne would get his celebratory moment later, as the team raced to congratulate him as the game ended.

The team celebrates after the buzzer. Video Melvin Smith/@_melvinsmith.

“After the game, it all came back to me,” Payne said. “It all surged. Everybody’s running to me. I see my mom running to me. BJ ran to me. Bryce grabbed me. Everybody’s just grabbing me. I was just excited and happy.

The celebrations continued into the locker room, where the team showered Nelson with water, commemorating all the hard work he does for the team.

The team waits in the locker room to celebrate with Head Coach Tom Nelson. Video by Andre Mills ’24.

Payne recognized the importance of his coach in creating this moment, praising Nelson for his commitment to all of his players.

“He doesn’t thrive on one person,” Payne said. “He lets the whole team contribute to the game.”

Podcast: LaDanion Payne ’27 on Game-Winning Shot
Expand

Tavio

How did it feel to hit the game-winning shot yesterday?

LaDanion

It was exhilarating, honestly. I've seen the shot go in and I was excited. Still had six seconds, so I had to get back on defense though.

Tavio

What was going through your head as you did it?

LaDanion

As I was going up for the floater, I was like, I got this. Honestly, I was just... I do this shot every day. I do it almost 50 times every time I step on the court, and so I just had the thought, I got this, it's going in.

Tavio

What were your thoughts when Coach Nelson decided to put the ball in your hands?

LaDanion

I told him straight up. I was like, I got you, T. I was ready. Ready for the moment. Brace for the moment.

Tavio

What does it say about Tom that he was willing to put the entire season in the hands of you, a freshman?

LaDanion

It just shows how good of a coach he is, how much he trusts everybody on the floor, everybody on the bench, all of his team. He doesn't thrive on one person. He lets the whole team contribute to the game, and it shows how much he's going to expect from me in the future.

Tavio

How did it feel after you hit the shot?

LaDanion

After I hit the shot, at first I was just like, exhilarated because it went in and we're up one, but then I just threw it all away for the last six seconds. I still had to get back on defense six seconds is a lot of time.

Tavio

And then after the game, how did it feel?

LaDanion

After the game, it all came back to me. It all surged. Everybody's running to me. I see my mom running to me. BJ ran to me. Bryce grabbed me. Everybody's just grabbing me. I was just excited and happy. Thank you.

These big moments stem from believing in each player consistently, according to Nelson.

“You let them know who they are as a person,” Nelson said. “And then when time comes, you call upon that. And they know that you’re there for them. I have a motto. I say, ‘We Got Us’. I want them to know that we, the group, and those in the past who have played, we all believe in you.”

Nelson has high hopes for the rest of the playoffs, beginning with the semifinals against The Winchendon School on Saturday.

“I think we can win the whole thing, but it’s going to take another gigantic, Herculean effort on Saturday to get a win at Winchendon,” Nelson said. “I’ve been telling them all year, if we get into the playoffs, then we could win it. And I still believe that.”

Editors’ note: This story was updated Thursday, Feb. 29 at 10:54 a.m. to include a podcast interview with Head Coach Tom Nelson. This story was also updated Thursday, Feb 29 at 12:00 p.m. to include a podcast interview with LaDanion Payne ’27 and new reporting.