GNN: School Gathers for Ribbon Cutting Ceremony

The community gathered on the field before first period today to celebrate the official opening of the Hastings Center, which was marked by a ribbon cutting ceremony.

The $8.1 million addition includes an enlarged dining facility, a new college counseling office, STEAM Lab, Innovation Center, Maker Studio, and Media Lab.

“The Hastings Center represents the start of a new era for Brimmer,” Head of School Judith Guild said, kicking off the event.  “It will result in the fulfillment of the strategic priorities for 2013 and beyond. . . and keep innovation at the forefront of a Brimmer and May education—now and into the future.”

Board of Trustees Chairman David Kreisler also spoke, thanking the Campaign Steering Committee and the Board of Trustees.

“We knew that we had to do something ambitious and bold for the School, and now I think we’ve come to the position where we’ve actually accomplished that,” Kreisler said, before also acknowledging last year’s graduating class. “They were a group that had to live the construction without getting to live through the benefit of the building, but they are were really focused on knowing that this was the best thing for the School.”

With over 150 gifts from April 13 to May 31, Brimmer raised $400,0000 to unlock a matching donation from the Hastings family, whose three children attend the School.

Lisa R. Hastings, who also serves as a trustee of the School, had the honor of cutting the ceremonial ribbon. “As a family, we are grateful to Brimmer for the opportunities offered to not only our children, but to all students,” Hastings told The Gator last spring. “We’ve seen firsthand how Brimmer inspires students to reach their full potential and find their passion. It is this transformation that inspires us to support the work of the School.”

A recent installation in the new space also acknowledges lead donors, without whom the Hastings Center would not have been built.

The lead donor wall, which appears in the new lobby. Photography by Caroline Ellervik ’18.