Undefeated Teams Round Out Spring Season

Angelina+Nur+Dervisevic+%E2%80%9921+pushes+the+offense+forward.+Photo+by+David+Barron.+
©David M. Barron/oxygengroup.com
Angelina Nur Dervisevic ’21 pushes the offense forward. Photo by David Barron.

Varsity girls lacrosse and varsity girls tennis are undefeated this season, and varsity boys baseball has lost just one game.

“This has been an extraordinary season,” said Athletic Director Jeff Gates. “The success is a testament to the hard work of our coaches and athletes, and I look forward to seeing how the rest of the season plays out.”

Varsity Girls’ Lacrosse 

At 4-0 and in first place, Head Coach Kyla Graves notices a clear difference between this season and last.

“We have proved that we are a powerhouse. This season is already very different from last year,” Graves said. “Last year, we had one of the worst records in the league, but this year, we are in first place.”

According to Co-Captain Rebecca Calhoun ’19, the team’s success is largely attributed to improved teamwork.

“Throughout all the years I have been on this team, we have never done this well. I think that the team is working very well together this year,” Calhoun said.

Angeline Nur Dervisevic ’21 echoed Calhoun’s sentiments , adding that she hopes to continue the winning streak.

“My hopes are that we continue our undefeated record and beat every team we play,” Nur Dervisevic said.

The team has three games remaining, and the squad is vying for a league title.

Varsity Girls’ Tennis 

With a record of 6-0, the team, which has never gone undefeated, or won a league title, is on a roll.

“Everyone is making an effort and doing their part to help the team,” Co-Captain Caroline Ellervik ’18 said.

“We all get along and have fun while remaining undefeated,”Co-Captain Monica Morales ’18 said. “I’m so proud of the team this year.”

For her part, Head Coach Jen Miller couldn’t be happier.

“This season is going great,” Miller said. “Everyone is working as a team, supporting each other, and representing the School very well. But most importantly, we are having a lot of fun.”  

The team plays against Boston Trinity Academy tomorrow, away at 4:15 p.m.

Varsity Boys’ Baseball 

• Michael Hastings ’18 rounds the bases. Photo by David Barron.

• Left-fiedler AJ Reeves ’18 gets reader the batter. Photo by David Barron.

• Catcher Dylan Rigol ’18 speaks strategy with Head Coach Joe Iuliano.

• The 2018 team. Photo by David Barron.

The defending league champions stand at 4-1, with one game left in regular season play tomorrow against first place Gann Academy.

Dylan Rigol ’18 said, “Our season has been very fun and successful so far. We have a core of juniors and seniors that have been working together for a long time and we hope to accomplish our goal of winning a championship.”

Outfielder Ethan Eastwood ’18 also spoke about the bond between upperclassmen on the team.

Eastwood said, “The squad is working well together, as most of us have been on the same team for many years. We play as one unit and bond together as a bear does with its cubs. We approach our games with the same vigor and concentration as a cheetah stalking its prey.”

Yesterday, Grant Iuliano ’18 pitched a no-hitter over seven innings with seventeen strikeouts for a 7-3 victory.

“My arm was feeling loose yesterday, and Dylan called a great game behind the plate,” said Iuliano.

Head Coach Joe Iuliano said that his team has faced an especially difficult schedule, even with poor weather causing several game cancellations.

“The game against Gann is for all the marbles in terms of the regular season,” Coach Iuliano said. “We are defending our regular season title and looking for the first seed in the tournament. And we want to pay them back for the loss earlier in the season. Should be a great game. We are pumped up for it.”