Model UN to Represent Major Countries

Countries represented by the club appear in red. Digital illustration by Camille Cherney ’20.

Grace Papas, Outgoing Executive Editor

With the most challenging and diverse country assignments in recent memory, the Model United Nations club is posed to send a competitive delegation to the Jan. 23 Yale Conference.

The School’s delegation has traditionally been assigned one or two main smaller countries, but this spring, the club is representing New Zealand, Afghanistan, Mauritania, Bangladesh, Israel, Germany, India, Yemen, Uganda, and Bolivia.

“This year, we have a good mix of new and experienced delegates who are excited to meet their committees and work on their topics,” Model UN adviser Kelly Neely said. “We are looking forward to seeing their positive energy translate into active engagement at Yale in January.”

At last winter’s conference, role-playing as Karl Trimborn, Chairman of the Catholic Center Party during the Weimar Republic, this year’s Co-Lead Delegate Miles Munkacy ’20 earned an “Honorable Mention” for best delegate in his joint crisis committee, debating the Treaty of Versailles and the rise of political extremism.

“In large part, I think the reason this year’s delegation received more competitive country and committee assignments has to do not just with my performance last year, but also how we did as a team,” Munkacy said.

“I’m representing New Zealand in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations,” Elizabeth Fitzgerald ’22 said. “I’m pretty excited because New Zealand is a good country and I think I can represent it well.”

Students will leave School Thursday, Jan. 23 after Upper School lunch, and will return to campus Sunday, Jan. 26.