Q&A: Election Day Aftermath

Illustration by Edan Zinn ’23.

Grace Papas, Outgoing Executive Editor

In the closest race in recent years with record voter turnout, the 2020 Presidential Election has been a rollercoaster for people across the country as they watch the battle between President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden. The numerous safety precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 have led to an increase in absentee and provisional ballots, which is delaying final results of the election. The Gator asked several students and faculty at the School about their feelings during this historical time.

How are you feeling overall about the Presidential Election?

Nico Jaffer: I’m pretty nervous. I think it’s a stressful time and there’s a lot of fighting right now. No matter what, there’s going to be a lot fighting, and our next president is going to have a lot on their hands.

Bill Jacob: I’m pleased that the election proceeded without much delay. But I do find it alarming that American stores have boarded up in case of disruption. I also was surprised by the degree of division in our country that has made this election so close.

What do you think the outcome will be?

Marlo Frank: I think literal human rights are at stake, but as we see from the preliminary votes, people haven’t learned their lesson, so I think it might be Trump this time.

Emily Luckett: I don’t know what to think, I can only hope it will go the way I want it to go, because my morals and values are represented in the candidate I voted.

How do you feel about the results being so close at this point?

Ugo Adiele: I feel really nervous. The fact that the next president will be decided relatively soon is just baffling to me. I feel like it was just yesterday when President Trump took office, and now we could be getting a new one. I honestly think that COVID-19 had such impeccable timing because it really showed how both candidates would handle such a crisis.

Alex Boch: I’m feeling confident. And I prefer this to a landslide on one side. I like that it’s taking longer and it seems like everyone has more of an opinion now.

Jared Smith: I’m both frustrated and disillusioned. These close numbers makes me realize that I truly don’t know what people in this country prioritize.