New Semester Brings Proposed Schedule Update

Edan Zinn

Photo Illustration by Edan Zinn ’23.

Karly Hamilton

Last week, the School announced a potential schedule change starting February 1. The new schedule will allow all in-person Upper School students to be on-campus four days a week and all Upper School students to learn remotely on Wednesdays.  

Head of Upper School Joshua Neudel shared this news with families last week.  

“Our goal since the beginning of the year has been to maximize the number of students on campus in a safe way and to provide a stable academic program for students,” Neudel shared. 

Since returning from winter break, more Upper School students have opted to learn remotely, leaving room for all in-person learners in grades 9-12 to safely be on-campus for classes. By moving to this new schedule, all grades can be on-campus four days a week, which has not yet been the case.  

Having all grades on campus at one time is possible based on the recent in-person attendance information,” Neudel said.  

In addition to providing the opportunity for students to spend more time on-campus, the new schedule includes a day where all students are learning virtually. According to Neudel, having all students learn remotely will allow teachers to target lessons to one setting, supplying a consistent learning environment for students on Wednesdays. 

“This schedule will provide more predictability for our teachers and allow us to give a more consistent learning experience for the entire division,” Neudel said.  

As the new schedule is proposed to span from February 1 through the start of spring break on March 12the School is asking families to commit to learning in-person four days a week or fully online by January 27. In-person students will still have the flexibility to learn concurrently if any health concerns arise.