COVID-19 Impacts Traditional Sports Offerings

Edan Zinn

Students play soccer for the Green and White teams.

Gator Staff

As the weather warms, the School is hoping to offer traditional spring sports like lacrosse, tennis, baseball, and softball. 

“There may be some modifications to some of the sports to maintain safety protocols, but we hope to give students a final team experience before the year is over,” Assistant Athletic Director Tom Nelson said.

Regardless, students like Owen Williams ‘23 are eager to get back onto the playing field. 

“I’m really excited to have the ability to play lacrosse in the spring, as it’s one of my favorite sports,” Williams said. “Last year it was really sad because we weren’t able to play due to COVID restrictions, so this year I am ready to be able to play with my friends again.”

Leah Bell ’22 echoed Williams excitement.

“I think that having [spring activities] might be enjoyable because it gives students the chance to practice their skills with their coaches and spend time with classmates and friends,” Bell said.

During the winter season, basketball and curling did not play traditional games and matches against other schools. Instead, the Athletics Department found creative ways for students to stay physically active, without compromising pandemic precautions.

This included introducing dance classes through Dance Academy USA. The online platform has over 216 classes in all types of dance, ranging from jazz and ballet to dance fitness. Students could also enroll in online martial art classes or participate in CrossFit, spin, and yoga. 

While the details of spring sports are yet to be confirmed, Nelson said that families will be updated before March Break.

— Nico Jaffer contributed to this report.