Q&A: Singer-Songwriter Hannah Liwerant ’22

Elisabeth Fitzgerald, Journalist

Liwerant performs at Coffeehouse in 2019. (Edan Zinn)

Hannah Liwerant ’22 joined the School as a 9th-grade student after attending The Carroll School. In addition to being a dedicated singer-songwriter, Liwerant enjoys playing tennis, hanging out with friends, fashion, photography, singing, and playing the piano. She has already released two songs, titled “Cold in Hell” and “Could You Not,” with more music coming soon. Her music is available on all streaming platforms.

Tell me about your music—who would you say your audience consists of and what genre is your music?

I think I mostly write pop or singer-songwriter stuff, although I am inspired by many different genres, such as jazz and R&B.

What is your process like when creating a song?

When I write music, I mess around with the piano and come up with chord progressions. I get inspired by other artists. Sometimes I get inspired from road trips or even looking out the car window or going out with friends. I write down what I am thinking in my notes and the song lyrics I have. I record ideas in my voice memos to make sure I remember the melodies I come up with. Writing songs lets me put myself in any perspective I want. I can write as someone else, I can create a space or emotion I want to feel. I can write as myself and what I am feeling and channel my emotions or I can write about a situation I want. I can make it more exciting than my life or I can hold back from writing too much about my life. I can even get a break from the real world and take on a different character. Writing helps me process what I am going through and release what I want or who I want to become. It allows me to take a step back and analyze how I am feeling. I find myself writing when something goes wrong in my life.

Liwerant records music in the studio. Photo courtesy of Liwerant.

When did you start singing and songwriting?

Literally, for as long as I can remember. Music has always been a big part of my life. I think I really started writing songs at like 12 or 13.

Is this something you want to pursue later in life?

Oh yeah, for sure. I want to keep doing it for as long as I can. All I want is to know that my song is exactly what someone needs to hear at that moment or that someone is able to connect and relate to it. I want to make people feel something, even sometimes make myself feel something. At moments, it’s hard for me to find motivation but through music, whether it is listening or making it or being surrounded by it, I feel something and gain perspective and a will to push forward. At times music reminds me who I am. I always come back to it. I want to do music my whole life. I want to surround myself with music and collaborate with other musicians and learn from them.

What are a few things that inspire you?

I’m inspired by listening to music in general, other artists, playing music, and performing with other people.

Do you have anything you’re working on now?

I am currently working on releasing more of my own music. I have many demos completed and I am trying to pick songs from those that I want to take to the finish line. I wrote two new songs this weekend with other musicians, and I realized the more I write, the more I know what I want and the more I learn about myself.

Where can I listen to your music?

My music is available on all platforms—Apple Music, Spotify, SoundCloud, Amazon Music, Google Play, and more.