Staff Profile: School Nurse Vicki Trinh

Edan Zinn

Vicki Trinh organizes COVID-19 test samples.

Brian Gamble, Outgoing Managing Editor

The Gator sat down with new School Nurse Vicki Trinh, who joined the School’s Health and Wellness Team this year during the pandemic.

How was your transition to working at the School during the pandemic?

My transition to Brimmer was pretty easy, all things considered. Working in a school was an entirely new experience for me, and with the pandemic, I was definitely nervous! Luckily, I have been fortunate enough to work with people who prioritize health and safety in the same way that I do.

What has been your experience with facilitating COVID-19 tests multiple times per week?

It has been a process! Testing can be time-consuming with all of the coordination it requires, but it is worth it at the end of the day. It has also allowed me to get to know the students and staff a little better, so I really can’t complain.

How do you communicate with Nurse Beth Escobar, who works in a different building across the street?

We communicate daily through our phones or email, and we have weekly check-ins too. I consider myself very lucky to have someone like Nurse Beth working with me this year. Anytime I have a question or need a second opinion, she’s there!

What first interested you in the School, and what about this job is most important to you?

Prior to my transition to Brimmer, I worked in an inpatient psych unit with adolescents who were really struggling with their mental health. I remember talking to these kids and hearing about the lack of support they had been receiving from their school counselors and nurses. This job has felt important to me for that reason. It has been a tough year with the pandemic, and I want to make sure that students who are struggling feel comfortable enough to come to my office and talk if they ever need to! 

What are some of your favorite pastimes outside of school?

I am a big animal lover, and I adopted a pet bunny at the start of the pandemic! She has been keeping me pretty busy but entertained. I’m also a big concert go-er—pre-pandemic—and hope to go to more live shows once it’s safe enough!