Students Attend WorldBoston Discussion of Armenian Genocide

Edan Zinn

Last May, the School attended a WorldBoston virtual discussion on Zoom.

Marlie Kass, Outgoing Arts Editor

On Wednesday, the School hosted a screening of WorldBoston’s discussion with the Armenian Ambassador to the United States, Varzhan Nerseyan.

Nerseyan addressed current global affairs following President Joe Biden’s official recognition of the massacre of Armenians beginning in 1915 as a genocide. Although the Armenian community and human rights advocates have pressed for the recognization of the Armenian Genocide for decades, Biden’s announcement officiated the term in the U.S. 106 years after the massacre began.

According to WorldBoston, Nerseyan also touched on the topics of “regional tensions with Azerbaijan and the role of Russia, COVID recovery, upcoming June parliamentary elections, and relations with the U.S. and Turkey.”

Director of the Global Studies Kelly Neely arranged for students from the Global Art History, International Relations, and Middle East and North Africa courses, as well as the Global Studies Diploma Program, to attend the event. Those interested in learning more about Armenia-U.S. relations were also welcome to join.

World Language Department Chair Nicole Rudolph took her Global Art History students to watch the event. Rudolph said that watching the livestream reminded her of attending a United Nations meeting.

“It was enlightening to listen to the diplomats and their perspectives,” Rudolph said.

Sevak Glorikian ‘23 said that the event was an educational experience.

“The screening gave very good insight into the struggles the people of Armenia are going through,” Glorikian said.