School Counselor on Managing Stress and Anxiety

Toni Golston

School Counselor Emily Luckett.

Marlie Kass, Outgoing Arts Editor

As the first quarter comes to a close and seniors finish major work on college applications, Upper School Counselor Emily Luckett shared some thoughts on how to manage stress and anxiety.

Have you noticed any change in student stress levels this year?

Yes. Dealing with the pandemic crisis has added to our stress levels. Stress can have a huge impact on our bodies and our mind. It is important to find healthy ways to cope with stress.

How do you cope with stress? How can students cope with stress?

It’s so important to prioritize self-care when you are stressed. Sleeping well, eating healthy, and staying active are necessary to take care of your body. Finding distractions that are soothing and enjoyable can really help.  I find that music really helps me when I’m stressed, or watching a good movie, or reading a book. Some people find that they feel better after talking to a friend or counselor. Finding ways to get “out of your head”, being mindful, meditating, taking a walk while being mindful of the smells and sounds around you.  Focusing on our breathing can help us slow our minds down and have a better perspective.

What else can students do to alleviate stress?

What we just talked about are short-term solutions. In the long run, though, we want to become resilient individuals so that we can get through life’s ups and downs. The way we do this is by getting to know ourselves, developing our emotional intelligence.  When we understand ourselves we can anticipate what kinds of things stress us out, what works or doesn’t work for us in our lives. We will then be able to make choices that are healthy for us. This takes time so be patient with yourself.

Editor’s note: If you need to speak with Luckett, please reach out to her via email. You can also stop by the Counseling Office. Students can also reach out to School Nurse Beth Escobar.