What Happened to Desktop Publishing?

A+display+of+past+yearbooks+supplied+by+the+School.++

Caleb Meranus

A display of past yearbooks supplied by the School.

Due to lack of student interest in Desktop Publishing, a discontinued fall elective which once created much of the yearbook, and for the third consecutive year, the publication is now produced by Associate Director of Marketing and Communication Nicole DeCesare. 

According to Upper School Head Joshua Neudel, students in Desktop Publishing did not make effective use of class time.  

Should yearbook (desktop publishing) be revived?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

“While we valued the opportunity for students to be involved in creating the yearbook through yearbook class, it was not a course that garnered a lot of student interest in comparison to other electives,” Neudel said. “We moved away from the class due to lack of interest and the fact that it did not have the curricular standards needed for a technology or creative arts course.”  

DeCesare is working on finding ways to involve students more in the yearbook’s production.   

“The Student Senate has the most official piece,” DeCesare said. “They handle voting for the honorary class member and the dedication. This year, they organized superlatives within the class, so they came up with a way to include everybody to get a superlative that felt positive and inclusive.”  

Each Upper School student will receive a yearbook, and additional copies will also be available for $55. Neudel also said that the School now asks a student to design the yearbook to showcase their creativity.  

The yearbook assembly is  May 31, at 1:40 p.m.