Baking My Future: How I Landed the Perfect Job

Ruby pipes frosting onto cupcakes. Illustration designed with Canva.
Ruby Cohen-Weinberg

For as long as I can remember, my interest in cooking and baking has been present. It has taught me not only how to cook, but also how to remain persistent.

As a kid, I loved my plastic play kitchen, but I also enjoyed creating real delicious meals with my parents and grandparent as my capabilities evolved.

As much as making birthday cakes for my family brought me joy, I had the will to do something more with by blossoming interest. In Middle School, I felt like there wasn’t much opportunity to put my talents to use; moreover, I didn’t know about about the power of spontaneous inquiry.

As someone who didn’t play sports, my younger self searched for something else to do with my spare time—something that was fun and non-academic.

There’s nothing like taking advantage of a serendipitous opportunity.

One afternoon, while talking with my mom about my desire, we just happened to pass by Blacker’s Bakeshop in Newton. I had walked past the store many times before, but I had never entered it. My mom suggested that we go inside and inquire about an internship or job.

Despite my nerves, I tentatively opened the door. I shyly asked the woman standing behind the counter about any opportunities. I senses her doubting my capabilities, as a nervous eighth grade student, but I gave her my contact information, I left, hoping that something positive would come to fruition.

After waiting months without a reply, I decided to send a follow up email about my inquiry. I finally heard back from the manager, who said that she would be glad to let me come in and see what I could do. I did packaging, frosting, assembling, still tasks which I complete now, four years later. For me, this highlighted the importance of confidence and self-advocacy.

Even on my first day, I fondly remember joking around about a mistake neither my boss nor I had noticed regarding a piping bag, which we had forgotten to put a tip on before frosting cupcakes. The work environment wasn’t at all like the intense, unforgiving atmosphere I had in my head.

Before I could excitedly return to work, COVID-19 hit and the baker temporarily shutdown. During this months-long time, I wasn’t able to come in, which made me sad, but I understood that they need to figure out a plan.

After the bakery shut down, I had to wait months to hear about when I could return. I reminded persistent, hopeful that I would be able to return.  When I finally got the call at the height of the pandemic, we had a table in front of the entrance, handing customers products through the doorway.

This setup limited the number of people in the store, before we eventually added plexiglass panels between us and the customers, who come in four-at-a-time. Later, after over a year, the bakery returned to its pre-pandemic operations.

Thinking about my entire time at the bakery, individual experiences stick out in my mind, like dropping an entire tray of more than 50 cake pops on the floor, frosting 700 cupcakes for an order in one day, and having my arms covered in jelly and sugar four hours after my shift.

Looking back on the special moments over the years, it’s clear why I keep going to work. It’s a place where I can mess up, learn from it, and laugh about it later. That means a lot to me.

I’ll never forget when my boss said I’d start getting paid, turning my internship into a real job. When I got a key to the bakery, it felt like a sign of the trust I had built up. It was a big deal.

What I love about this job is that it never stresses me out, unlike school. Knowing I’ll have to leave next year for college and say goodbye to the work family I’ve made over four years is really tough.

This job is more than just something for my resume or college apps. It’s been a huge part of my high school life, giving me great experiences and teaching me a lot.

Sometimes, I think about how different things would be if I hadn’t walked into the bakery that day. I would have missed out on so much joy and the amazing people I’ve met over these four years.