Middle School to Perform ‘Sound of Music’

With much excitement, two weeks ago the Middle School started rehearsals for its spring musical, The Sound of Music.

The story is set in the late 1930s and follows a former nun, Maria, who is hired to look after the children of Captain Von Trapp, a prominent Austrian official commissioned to serve in the German navy—though he opposes the Nazis. After becoming involved in each other’s personal lives, Maria and Von Trapp begin to share romantic feelings. The Sound of Music is a story about love, self-discovery and perseverance.

The two main characters are played by eighth-graders Dessie Bell-Kamen (Maria) and Elias Kazin (Captain Von Trapp). Other lead roles are distributed among 6th, 7th and 8th graders.

“It’s an iconic musical loved by a lot of people,” said Middle School drama teacher Diana Gleason, who is directing the show. “We are super pumped and very excited.” 

The Sound of Music was chosen, in part, because its performance will coincide with the 8th-grade unit on World War II, allowing students to learn about the period through  multiple lenses. For additional inspiration, the cast saw a performance of the Sound of Music in Boston last Friday at the Boston Opera House. Full cast rehearsals take place twice a week.

“The musical is going wonderfully so far,” says Frank Van Atta, the Middle and Upper School Music Director.  “We did our first read through today which was really exciting because we finally saw it come together.”

“I’m really happy that I got the part,” says Bell-Kamen 20’ “I know it is going to be stressful but I am excited for the experience.”

The Sound of Music debuts Wednesday, May 25.