Weekly Sports Roundup

Graphical digital sport news background with news text.

Cross Country

On a perfect fall New England afternoon, the Big Green Running Machine finished in first place out of six teams competing on Waring’s challenging 5K course. Led by the trio of Liam Conklin ’19, Connor Reif ’19, and Charles Li ’17, the Gators grabbed three of the top six places in a race of over 90 runners. Matthew Ayres ’18, turned in a superb performance, finishing in 19th place, and Jeff Wu ’18, was close behind to round out Brimmer’s scoring.  Kaitlin Anderson ’20 once again crossed the line as the 3rd girl finisher in what looks to be an impressive campaign in her first season of cross country.

The team looks to build on this week’s success next Wednesday at Gann Academy when co-captain Lachlan Davidson ’17 returns to competition for the first time since last October.

Scoring Results:

1. Brimmer and May 50
2. CSW 59
3. Gann 64
4. Waring 65
5. CH-CH 135
6. Commonwealth 177
7. Newman 194

V. Boys’ Soccer

BM 3 Dexter 5

The varsity boys soccer team took a tough 5:3 loss in their home opener against Dexter. Dexter opened the scoring on a fast break, but the Gators evened it up just a few minutes later.

Ben Ernest ’19 made a strong run downfield, fighting off tackles left and right, and he made it into the box, where Olivier Khorasani ’20 who completed the score from 10 yards out.

Dexter took the lead again with another fast break goal, and then scored a third from a questionable penalty from a handball. At the half, the Gators were down 1:4.

In the second half, the Gators came out determined to get back into the game, but found themselves down 5:1 when a Dexter forward put in a header off a corner kick.

After this play, the Gators were motivated to kick into a higher gear. Alex Dolan ’17 made it 5: 2 from a run through three defenders and a shot from just inside the eighteen. Tyler Best ’18 scored an excellent shot from wide right to top an excellent run into the box and make it 5: 3.

The Gators continued to create chances for themselves, demonstrating grit but fell short of evening the score. The team demonstrated grit and showed that they can’t be counted out as a top contender this season. The team will take on Boston Trinity Academy next Wednesday at Hyde Park.

BM 6 BTA 1

The team earned its first win, 6:1, over Boston Trinity Academy. The Gators dominated the early possession game, but found themselves down a goal when BTA converted a penalty kick from a handball. Five minutes later, the game was tied after Alex Dolan ’17 converted a penalty kick from a BTA handball.

Ben Ernest ’19 made it 2:1 when he controlled a poor attempted clearance and sent a powerful shot by the diving keeper. Tyler Best ’18 ran onto a nice through ball from Dolan and made no mistake with a clinical finish to make it 3 :1. Just before the end of the first half, Dylan Rigol ’18 scored a brave header goal. A looping ball came over the top and Rigol timed his leap to perfection and headed the ball past the keeper who was attempting to punch the ball clear.

Defenders Justin Ewing ’19 and Ethan Eastwood ’18 controlled the back line and kept BTA from having any real goal scoring chances. The Gators scored two more goals, both on excellent ground through balls from Ernest.  Dolan scored the Gators’ fifth goal and Dylan Rigol knocked in the sixth and final goal for the team.

V. Girls’ Soccer

BM 6 Bradford Christian Academy 0

The Gators started out slow against Bradford Christian Academy Friday afternoon. But they put enough pressure on the Bradford defense to earn a solid win. .

Shani Breiman ’18 got the Gators on the board when she drew a foul in the box, and placed the penalty kick past the goalie for a 1:0 lead. Several breakaway attempts and numerous shots were all denied, and the score remained 1:0 at halftime.

In the second half,, the Gators capitalized on their opportunities, scoring five goals in the second half. Sophie Lapat ’18 blasted a shot from the right side of the 18-yard box. For her part, Breiman finished a nice through pass from Lapat to extend the score 3-0. Kimberly Santos ’18 also sent a cross from the left side that Lapat shot home.n excellent combination of passes between players also ended with Abby Mynahan ’19 sending Breiman on goal to finish a hat-trick.

Caiti Cullen ’19 scored the sixth Gastor goal of the game with a shot from outside the 18-yard line after the Bradford keeper initially saved a breakaway attempt. Alexis Ifill ’17 and Claire Masterson ’20 combined for the shutout, and every player saw significant action as the girls took home the 6:0 win.

The Gators are back in action next Tuesday when take on Landmark on the road.

MS Boys’ Soccer

BM 0 British School 4

Brimmer lost 4:0 to the British International School of Boston on Friday. The British School managed to sneak in two goals before half time.

Brimmer came out firing at the start of the second half, putting five shots on goal in the first five minutes, but the opposing goalie held strong. espite the stellar defense of Asher Jaeckel ’22 and Constantine Katsikeas ’22, British School strikers scored two more goals before the final whistle.

MS Girls’ Soccer

BM 5 British School 8

The Gators played a tough match against the British International School of Boston on Friday.

Coming out fast and furious, the team scored the first goal of the game after a beautiful passing sequence, which was put in netby Kaylee Little ’23.

Brimmer continued to match the style of play with the British School, as Eloisa Luczkow ’23 scored Brimmer’s second goal before the half.

In the second half of play, British School capitalized on each possession, scoring five goals, despite several impressive saves by Brimmer keeper Sayde Cheever ’23.

Next Wednesday, Brimmer hopes to continue improving their performance in a competitive match against Newton Country Day School.

– Complied by Alexander Dolan ’17 and Jared Heller ’18