Film Review: Sausage Party

Sausage Party is a fun film to see with your friends, but certainly not your parents. It’s chock-full of profanity, strong sexual innuendo, and vulgar comedy. Having said that, you’ve never seen anything like it. But I’ll leave that to you to decide. 

This may be an animated feature, but it’s anything but kid-friendly. It deserves its R-rating, and parents would be wise to take the MPAA seriously.

The Seth Rogen film reimagines a standard grocery store, in which food is actually alive with distinct personalities — all of whom are trying to make it to the illusive “great beyond.” After being purchased by an unsuspecting shopper, though, the foods quickly learn that the afterlife isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. The movie is vulgar and cruel with it’s humor, yet many political and religious references are present in the non-stop comedy, even as I shutter at providing specific examples for this publication.

Still, for all of its crude antics, the movie raises genuine questions about religion and the afterlife, abstinence and obeying the bible. This film also touches on issues of race, including food from around the world who have their respective cultures mocked. Still, the absolute absurdity of the film’s plot muddles any deeper conversations moviegoers would have had after the credits roll.

On the whole, the movie, while disturbing, made me laugh out loud. For mature and age-apprioraite audiences, I strongly recommend giving it a watch.