Special Activities, Trips, Before Spring Break

Upper School Head Joshua Neudel is spearheading the initiative during off-Winterim years.
  • Fresh off his starring role in ‘Big Fish’ Huck Jennings ’25 plays musical chairs.

• Upper School Head Joshua Neduel and Assistant Director of Admissions Tess Cicala organize the grades into teams.

• Cole Thompson ’26 gets excited for the upcoming morning games.

• Associate Director of Admissions Tess Cicala gives directions for the morning games.

• Before Thursday’s trips, students played a variety of games in the gym.

In preparation for spring break, students are set to participate in numerous field trips on Thursday, followed by an all-division excursion to Level 99 in Natick on Friday.

This initiative, spearheaded by Upper School Head Joshua Neudel, is designed to offer both teachers and students a well-deserved break from the usual week-long academic schedule.

“Teachers like having Thursday and Friday to do community programming,” Neudel said. “It’s a nice way to go into break, knowing that Thursday and Friday are an incentive for people to stay and not leave early for vacation,” Neudel said. 

Last week, students expressed their preferences for these outings through a Microsoft Form, resulting in a wide range of options tailored to diverse interests.

Thursday’s field trip selections include educational visits to the New England Aquarium and The Museum of Science, a cultural and culinary exploration through Dim Sum and a scavenger hunt in Chinatown, a rock climbing adventure, an art appreciation day at the Museum of Fine Arts, and a chance to contribute to the community through volunteer work at Cradles to Crayons.

Thursday Schedule

Frances Fremont-Smith, who leading the Chinatown trip, is excited to set off on the adventure and is enthusiastic about introducing her love for Chinese culture to students who are not part of the Mandarin program.

“I’m excited for students to experience Chinese culture in an American setting,” she said. “The Chinatown trip has 25 students attending.

Before Thursday’s trips, grade levels also engaged in healthy competitive games like musical chairs and basketball.

School will remain closed for  a two-week break beginning Monday, March 11.

Editor’s Note: This story was updated at 12:17 p.m. on March 6 to reflect changes in programming and add Thursday’s schedule.  This story was also updated on Friday, March 7 at 9:40 a.m. to include additional information about the Thursday morning activities.