V. Baseball Embraces a New Era with Full Field Advantage

Christoph+Kasper+25+tries+to+get+the+out+at+last+years+semi-finals+against+Gann%2C+with+the+Gators+coming+up+short%2C+13-3.+Today+at+4%3A15+p.m.%2C+the+team+will+get+the+chance+for+revenge+when+they+face+off+against+the+Red+Heifers+for+the+season-opener.+
David Barron
Christoph Kasper ’25 tries to get the out at last year’s semi-finals against Gann, with the Gators coming up short, 13-3. Today at 4:15 p.m., the team will get the chance for revenge when they face off against the Red Heifers for the season-opener.

For the first time ever, Varsity Baseball will have access to a full diamond for practice—a significant milestone that adds to the anticipation of a standout seasons for returning players and first-timers.

“I’m excited for baseball to have a practice field, to practice on a real diamond, off in Newton, so they can have the chance to hone their skills on a full diamond five days a week,” Ryan Hurst ’25 said.

In past seasons, the team was forced to contend with limited field space, which was more suitable for lacrosse and softball practices. Now, from Monday to Friday, players will have full access to the entire baseball field at West Newton Common, nestled between Elm Road and Webster Street, from 3:45 to 5:30 p.m.

Even still, last season, the team made it to the Massachusetts Bay Independent League semi-finals playoff, before suffering a 13-3 defeat to Gann Academy.

Historically, the team has won six league championships, last under former Head Coach Joe Iuliano, who produced back-to-back titles in the 2017 and 2018 spring seasons.

“There was a stretch of years in the 2010s when we were in the league championship game in 8 out of 10 years and repeated as league champion twice,” Iuliano said. “If we had a home game it was at Brandeis or Babson—which were beautiful fields—but only maybe 2-4 times a season and only very rarely for practice. Having a field to practice hit and run technique and to just take live flyballs in batting practice will be a big boon to the team. I am excited for them.”

The team is also grateful for the added space, which will allow them to execute their drills better.

“We get an entire diamond to ourselves and we can actually practice batting other than having to be in the cage,” Christoph Kasper ’25 said. “Also, you have so  much freedom to practice with more space.”

Hurst agrees.

“The field gives us a sense of how to play as a team, instead of playing on a half-soccer field,” Hurst said. “It helps us visualize.”

After just a week of practice on the new diamond, Co-Captain Jonathan Walsh ’25 already sees a difference in how the team is coming together.

“For years, we’ve practiced mostly on the Brimmer Field, sometimes at Mt. Ida, but we’ve always had to share the field with other teams and it was hard to be able to hit fly ball, practice hitting, and get a sense of game situations,” Walsh said.

Today at 4:15 p.m., the team will have a chance at revenge by defeating Gann in its season-opener.

“I do think our team is getting better, but Gann is always a really solid baseball team,” Walsh said. “I think this year we have a better chance of beating them, but we will see.”

View Comments (1)
We cover community announcements.

• Virginia BeechApr 10, 2024 at 9:23 am

At last!!! Love this news. I went to every game I could get to back in the 2010s and on. Such fun! Joe Iuliano and his players took baseball seriously, but also had fun playing the game. One day, Joe said to me,” I want to win every game I’m in! ” That attitude and the talent of his players led to so many wins. The community of fans at the games also made these baseball games a joy to attend. I’m going to go to a home game as soon as I check the season schedule ! Play Ball!!! Virginia Ellis Beech

Reply