Jefferson ’22, Williams ’23 to Lead Senate

Gator file photo

Ayanna Jefferson ’22 will serve as Senate President and Owen Williams ’23 will serve as Vice President for the upcoming academic year.

Brian Gamble, Outgoing Managing Editor

Last month, the School elected Ayanna Jefferson ‘22 as Upper School Senate President and Owen Williams ‘23 as Vice President for the 2021-2022 school year.

Following the tenure of outgoing Senate President Katarina Klacko ‘21 and Vice President Sophia Spring ‘22, Jefferson and Williams have already begun exercising their new roles in the final months of the school year.

Jefferson said it feels “surreal” to hold the position of Senate President.

“Since the only act I have formally done as President thus far is running morning meetings, the position is still settling in for me. I have yet to receive many duties as President, so I am still trying to finish this year with a bang and am prepared to take on the role this upcoming school year,” Jefferson said.

Williams echoed a similar sentiment.

“So far, it has felt amazing to be Vice President,” Williams said. “I was able to run my first Morning Meeting on Friday. Although I was nervous at first, I am glad that I had the opportunity to experience what my new role would be like.”

As new student leaders, Williams and Jefferson shared their ideas and ambitions for the upcoming year.

“Next year, I hope to bring some ideas that will improve our school year. Even though COVID is still prevalent, I hope that next year can feel as normal and inclusive as previous years,” Jefferson said. “One main desire I have for this upcoming school year is to improve inclusiveness with grades and to ensure that people can get in the school spirit.”

“I hope to strengthen Brimmer’s community, even as we are going through less-than-ideal situations,” Williams said. “Some of my desires are showing the school how capable I am as Vice President and that I can strongly contribute to the school and the community.”

Both Jefferson and Williams are excited for the 2021-2022 school year and are ready to work to make their goals a reality.