After Two Long Years, Lacrosse Returns to the Playing Field

As this one-of-a-kind lacrosse season wraps up, athletes reflect on their first and only interscholastic games due to COVID-19.

Edan Zinn

Leni Hicks-Dutt ’23 and Sophia Bruno ’23 pose before lacrosse practice.

Brian Gamble, Outgoing Managing Editor

On May 24 and 25, the School’s Varsity Boys’ and Girls’ Lacrosse teams competed in their first and only games of the season against Gann Academy. Both games resulted in a win for the teams, as the girls won 19-14 and the boys prevailed with an 11-9 win.

Students were excited to get out and play against other schools for the first time in nearly two years, as the COVID-19 pandemic forced the 2019-2020 season to end after only a week of practices.

The teams recruited many new athletes to make up for roster shortages due to the COVID-19 pandemic, including Leni Hicks-Dutt ’23, a longtime soccer player.

“It was really exciting to have such a great win,” Elena Hicks-Dutt ‘23 said. “As my first time playing a game of lacrosse, it was a really special experience to participate with all the great people on the team.”

Hicks-Dutt said she was not phased by the COVID-19 protocols enforced at practices and games.

“While we all adhered to the rules we were told to follow before the game, we were still able to have a lot of fun,” Hicks-Dutt said. “Our excitement definitely overshadowed any fears about the virus that we had.”

While the games were successful events, it took extensive planning of safety policies and modifications by the School as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

For Christian Stratter, the head coach of the Boys’ Lacrosse team, this year of coaching and playing has been much different than the rest.

“All of our players have been wearing masks, and for most of the season, there was not any contact allowed,” Stratter said.

Adjusting to the new no-contact guidelines, the team focused on stick work, ground balls, and passing.

“We also made sure to practice social distancing on the bus to and from practice,” Stratter said.

As this one-of-a-kind lacrosse season has now come to an end, athletes at the School look forward to a full set of interscholastic games during the next school year.