Congrats: 2017 College Acceptances

Seniors sign a beam to be installed in the new Chase addition. (Photo by Jody Weinberg)

In the fall, students from the Class of 2017 will attend a variety of top colleges and universities.

Babson College
Barnard College
Brown University x2
College of Charleston
College of Wooster
Connecticut College
Davidson College
Franklin & Marshall College
Indiana University
Marist College
Maryland Institute College of the Arts
New York University (Tisch)
Ohio Wesleyan University
Rhodes College
Skidmore College x4
St. Andrews University (Scotland)
Suffolk University
Syracuse Universit
Trinity College
Tsinghua University (China)
University of Connecticut
University of New Hampshire
University of New Hampshire
Wentworth Institute of Technology
Wheaton College

To learn more about the admissions process, as well as the success of the seniors, The Gator reached out to Director of College Counseling the Cynthia Pendergast.

Like in previous years, many students showed interest in applying to liberal arts schools, according to Pendergast. “I think Brimmer students are attracted to the smaller class sizes, and smaller communities in general, that these schools provide,” she says, also noting, however, that several students will attend larger universities.

With the School’s growing STEAM program, Pendergast has noticed an uptick in students interested in moving on from Brimmer to continue studying science and math, or related fields. “At the same time, this does not detract from our emphasis on strong writing skills, or students who move on wanting to study the arts and humanities,” Pendergast says.

Mr. Iuliano, a member of the College Counseling Team added, “This year’s class includes students interested in studying art filmmaking, fashion, business and economics, education, and international relations, as well as the sciences and engineering. Some of these flow out of our Signature Programs–CAP, Global Studies, and STEAM–or the general interests and experiences of our students.”

Seniors here have several advantages when applying to college, Pendergast adds, noting in a smaller environment, teachers know their students “extremely well,” which in turn makes it easier for them to writers letters of recommendation.

“I also think that we are very serious about encouraging students to challenge themselves here, and colleges like to see that effort on transcripts,” Pendergast says.

Already, Pendergast is counseling the juniors, who she says are working hard to prepare for applying to college next year.