V. Girls Lacrosse Wins Championship, Goes Undefeated

https://animoto.com/play/tekmvzaEgNJ42pv0X3heXQ

Varsity girls lacrosse earned a 17-6 win against Newman yesterday, finishing the season with a 9-0 undefeated record and winning an Independent Girls Conference championship.

“It feels great to be the best in the league,” Kaitlyn Anderson ’20 said. “The team is very excited to be the first Brimmer lacrosse team in history to finish a season undefeated and win a championship.”

Facing Newman, Sophia Gomez ’19 led with four goals, followed with three apiece by Sophie Lapat ’18 and Sade Latinwo ’20. Ava Bruening ’20 also scored twice, with Molly McHugh ’21, Hannah Ahearn ’19, Angeline Nur Dervisevic ’21, Kaitlyn Anderson ’20, and sixth-grader Elle DeLorey each contributing a goal.

Hannah Ahearn ’20 reflected on the successful last game of the season, saying, “We worked really hard to make sure every player had opportunities to score. Players were able to try new positions, and had a lot of assists, which was great to see.”

On Wednesday, the team defeated Chapel Hill-Chauncey Hall 19-4. The defense, led by Rebecca Calhoun ’19, Kaitlyn Anderson ’20, and Angeline Nur Dervisevic ’21, communicated effectively and slowed down the ball, allowing only 4 goals. Sophia Gomez ’19 scored 8 goals.

Rebecca Calhoun ’19 said that her first season as a co-captain “exceeded all expectations,” and that she is already looking forward to next year.

“Throughout my years on the team, we have certainly grown and improved as players. I am very proud of my team for ending the season on such a high note,” Calhoun said.

Lapat, the team’s lone senior, enjoyed watching the team’s progress this year.

“It was really special to watch the team go undefeated during my senior year,” Lapat said. “Scoring three goals was the perfect way to end my Brimmer athletics career.”

New to the team, Molly McHugh ’21 attributed the successful season to superior teamwork. Angeline Nur Dervisevic ’21 also thought that this season was the best one yet, and she is looking forward to next year, too.

“The team worked incredibly hard, and I am very proud of all they have achieved this year,” said Head Coach Kayla Graves. “It was a lot of fun to coach them this season, and they should feel very proud about the well-deserved accomplishments.”

Yesterday, varsity girls tennis and varsity boys lacrosse also won league titles.