Gator Wins First Place at Suffolk

Greater+Boston+High+School+Newspaper+Competition+Director+Richard+Press+presents+Editors+Miles+Munkacy+20+and+Caroline+Champa++20+with+the+first+place+prize+for+excellence+in+online+journalism.+

Greater Boston High School Newspaper Competition Director Richard Press presents Editors Miles Munkacy ’20 and Caroline Champa ’20 with the first place prize for excellence in online journalism.

Michael Young, Journalist

On Tuesday, The Gator won first place and a $1,500 scholarship for excellence in online journalism in the Greater Boston Highschool Newspaper competition, a first for the publication.

This award is based on the collective work of the newsroom over the past academic year.

“I am proud of the extra effort put into publishing not only excellent writing but also more complex multi-media this year, such as GNN and Elective Insider videos,” Co-Editor-in-Chief Camille Cherney ’20 said. “I think our diversity of content helped us secure first place.”

Gator Adviser David Cutler, Executive Editor Miles Munkacy ’20 and Co-Editor-in-Chief Caroline Champa ’20 attended the event to receive this prestigious award.

“This award is proof of all the hard work that the newsroom has put in for the past year. I’m really proud of everyone, and I know that everyone will keep up the good writing for next year,” Munkacy said.

Champa echoed Munkacy, saying, “I am so proud of our writers and all of the hard work attributed to this award. We have many new, young writers this year so I feel that makes this achievement sweeter.”

The award. Photo by David Cutler.