Community Reflects on Safety Protocols

Edan Zinn

Natalie Kozhemiakin ’23 washes her hands before entering the Chase Building.

Nico Jaffer, Outgoing Sports Editor

Just a year ago, wearing a face mask was not a common practice. With the pandemic, however, the community has embraced a “new normal.” 

In the fall, according to Upper School Head Joshua Neudel, it took some time for students to adjust to new safety protocols—especially wearing masks. 

“At the start of the year, there were a lot more reminders about mask wearing and pulling a mask up that may have fallen under a nose,” Neudel said. 

In September, Zakkai Mares-Van Praag ‘22 says that wearing a mask was “awkward.”

“It felt like it made sense due to COVID-19, but at the same time, it was often difficult,” Mares-Van Praag said. 

As the second semesters gets underway, however, students and teachers alike are acclimating. 

“Wearing a mask is now just part of my daily routine,” math teacher Andrew Beal said. “As I leave the house in the morning, I put on my shoes, coat, and mask, grab my keys and head out the door. As for the students, they now need very few reminders about keeping their masks on.”

As the community adapts, Priya Mallidi ‘23 wonders what post-pandemic life might look like. 

“I think that just like when we first put on the masks, it’ll be an interesting experience when we are all able to go to school without our masks again,” Priya Mallidi said. “I honestly might continue to wear a mask in school even if it’s not required, until I feel comfortable not wearing one.”

Have you become used to wearing a mask in school?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.