Student-Directed Play to Feature Philosophical Lobsters

Poster design by Hebe Qiang ’23.

Grace Papas, Outgoing Executive Editor

For the first time in the School’s history, the spring student-directed play will be online. In the Tank, a the two-man show, will offer differing perspectives on the philosophy of life and death.

The play, written by Rosemary Frisino Toohey, is a comedic yet intense play about two lobsters, Harry and Stu, who find themselves in the tank of a seafood restaurant. The two have a debate about the ideas of life and death while trying to avoid being selected as the main course of the diners around them.

The play, directed by Marlie Kass ’23, promises to offer laughs and insight into physical and metaphorical tanks, and the concept of life with the constant threat of death looming overhead.

The show will feature Edan Zinn ’23 and Zakkai Mares Van-Praag ’22 as the lobster protagonists in the small cast.

Mares Van-Praag said he found the experience working with such a small group of people to be unique and special.

In the Tank is a hilarious, but often also deep, show, and I’m very excited to be able to achieve my true calling and play a philosophical lobster on the Brimmer virtual stage,” Van-Praag said.

Kass, the first 10th-grade student in Brimmer’s history to direct the student-directed play, has past experience with directing and looks forward to bringing the unique production to the School’s stage. 

The one-act, 25-minute play promises to be a fun and light-hearted show that may leave viewers pondering their seafood intake, or the way they live.

Editors’ Note: To tune in on Friday at 7:00 p.m., use the Zoom Webinar link here. Admission is free of charge.