Students Party in Winter Wonderland

Twinkling lights, a snowflake ice sculpture and holiday trees transformed the dining hall Saturday night into a ‘Winter Wonderland.’

For the Annual Upper School Senate-sponsored Semiformal, students also enjoyed cannolis from Mike’s Pastry, as well as with cookies, chips, soda, fruit salad, and a hot cocoa bar

The DJ played popular songs like Shut Up and Dance by Walk the Moon, the Cupid Shuffle by Cupid, and Tick Tock by Kesha.

Senate started preparing for the dance in late December, and raised money through a dress down day and various food sales.

“Leading up to semi, I knew I had a big responsibility to make the event great,” says Senate President Nathaniel Friedman ’16, adding that he allowed his cabinet significant latitude to do much of the work. “I look forward to receiving feedback, which will help improve semi for next year.”

Students and parents collaborated to make the event a success. Freidman offered special gratitude to Michelle Heckel Lepore P’18, who coordinated parent efforts to help students decorate and set up for the event. Laurie Anderson P’15 also volunteered her time to set up the drapes.

“I enjoyed getting to know some of the students who I otherwise might not have had the chance to spend time with,” says Lepore. “It’s fun to watch students as they pick a theme, come up with ideas and then follow through.”

Music teacher Frank van Atta, Upper School Head Joe Iuliano, Humanities Co-Chair Kelly Neely and Senate Co-Advisers David Cutler and Paul Murray chaperoned the event.

“This was truly a student-lead initiative,” says Cutler. “I continue to be enormously impressed by student leadership at Brimmer, as well as by the warm and loving support our students receive from adults.”