Optimism for Fresh Boys’ Soccer Team

With new faces at the helm, the team expressed excitement for the season.
Xavier+Claiborne+24+attempts+to+intercept+a+pass+at+Homecoming+last+year+against+Landmark.+Photo+courtesy+of+David+Barron.+
David Barron
Xavier Claiborne ’24 attempts to intercept a pass at Homecoming last year against Landmark. Photo courtesy of David Barron.

The Varsity Boys’ Soccer team played their first few games of the season over the last two weeks, going 1-1-1 against Landmark School, Lexington Covenant Academy, and Boston Trinity Academy, respectively.

The Gators are looking at a fresh start after finishing the past season at 7-4-1 and the team’s leaders graduating.

Boys’ Soccer Coach Chris Hardman shared his expectations for the coming season, starting with his thoughts about this year’s seniors.

“Although it was big to lose Sevak and Zach, Captain Oliver Baggett and Anson Mancebo will be upfront scoring goals in place of Sevak [Glorikian],” Hardman said. 

Hardman was looking forward to the promising freshman class. “We only had four freshmen tryouts with only one getting significant playing time. The remaining freshman will get substantial playing time on the JV team which we did not have last year,” Hardman said.

Midfielder Adi Houndegla ‘26 was optimistic about the first few games.  “I think the team will do well and we have a solid and well-rounded team,”  Houndegla said. 

The team’s next game is against Cambridge School of Weston on Friday, September 29 at 4:15 p.m.