Baseball Legend Brooks Robinson Passes Away at 86

Wikimedia Commons
Hall of Famer Brooks Robinson speaks to reporters before the MLBPAA’s 2016 Legends for Youth Dinner.

On September 26, 2023, the sports world lost an icon.

Brooks Robinson, the Baltimore Orioles’ legendary third baseman, may have left us, but his legacy lives on. With eighteen All-Star appearances, sixteen consecutive Gold Gloves, and an American League MVP in 1964, Robinson’s on-field prowess was unmatched.

He also won an American League MVP in 1964 while leading the league in RBIs with 118. 

On the field, Robinson was known by his peers as one of the premier defensive third basemen ever. Hall of Famer and former teammate Frank Robinson describe what it was like watching Robinson playing.

“I used to stand in the outfield like a fan and watch him make play after play. I used to think, ‘Wow! I can’t believe this,” CNN reported Frank as saying.

Robinson was beloved by Baltimore fans, as sports writer Gordon Beard writes:  “Brooks [Robinson] never asked anyone to name a candy bar after him. In Baltimore, people named their children after him.”

Robinson had quite an astounding career, and because of his accolades and meaning to the Orioles franchise, the organizaton retired his number the moment he retired in 1977.

Camden Yards hosted an event on October 2 that gathered Orioles fans to celebrate a true baseball legend. Cal Ripken Jr., Eddie Murray, and the family of Brooks Robinson were also present to honor a man whose legacy in both the sport and the community will be remembered for generations to come.

He’s an extraordinary human being, which is important, and the world’s greatest third baseman of all time, which is incidental.

— John Steadman

The baseball community mourns Robinson, who brought so much to the game. Not only that, but Robinson was also widely known by the community as a class act.

As sports writer John Steadman wrote, “He’s an extraordinary human being, which is important, and the world’s greatest third baseman of all time, which is incidental.”

Robinson will forever be remembered not only as an extraordinary third baseman but more importantly as a down-to-earth individual who gave so much back to the community.

View Comments (1)
Gabe Cohen
Gabe Cohen, Incoming Sports Editor
Gabe is a new journalist for The Gator. He enjoys playing basketball and keeping up with different sports. He also loves to listen to music and make videos for his YouTube.

• Jack MalloyOct 12, 2023 at 7:48 am

He was a third baseman not a shortstop so you might want to fix that

Reply