The Cows Around Boston

Photo+Courtesy+of+Mckinlee+DePaola+25.+
Photo Courtesy of Mckinlee DePaola ’25.

Boston is adorned with 75 distinct cows, meticulously placed for both locals and tourists to admire.

These bovine masterpieces were born out of a public art initiative, welcoming participants from every age group and background.

Crafted to life-size proportions, with some presented as miniature replicas, each cow showcases the talent of local artists and carries its own unique narrative.

I drive past “Josephine” every day on my way to school. When she first showed up, I was curious and eventually searched her up. When I found what it was all about, it made me happy to learn about the cows, but to be able to see “Josephine” all the time.

CowParade New England, which sold the cow sculptures for charity, includes details on the cows and their artists.

Josephine was created by Liz Roache, a local artist, designer, and art educator.

“This cow is named after Liz’s mother, Josephine. She adored color, always dressing in brightly colored clothes. Josephine’s cancer taught her daughters the importance of regular mammograms and early detection,” according to Cow Parade. “This joyful pink design celebrates Josephine and all women who have faced breast cancer.”

The money earned through the cows has gone to the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, and their efforts to defy cancer.