Money Over Merit: Florida State Snubbed

A+fireworks+display+at+Doak+Campbell+Stadium%2C+home+of+the+Florida+State+Seminoles.+
Wikimedia Commons
A fireworks display at Doak Campbell Stadium, home of the Florida State Seminoles.

Two undefeated teams, two one-loss teams, and a deserving undefeated Power 5 team outcasted. 

On December 3, the College Football Playoff selection show went live to the public as the committee decided the four teams–the Michigan Wolverines, the Washington Huskies, the Texas Longhorns, and the Alabama Crimson Tide–to compete for a National Championship.   

Despite star quarterback Jordan Travis suffering from a devastating injury in Week 11 , the Florida State Seminoles came off one of the best years in program history and completed a perfect 13-0 season, which had them bound for a playoff spot. 

In the first week without Travis, second-string quarterback Tate Rodemaker rose to the occasion. The Seminoles got the win,but Rodemaker suffered a head injury that put him out for their final game against Louisville. Freshman third-string quarterback Brock Glenn rallied the Seminoles to a 16-6 victory to cap off an undefeated season for the team.

Going into Selection Sunday, the Seminoles seemed to lock a spot in the College Football Playoffs, as no Power 5 team missed the playoffs after an undefeated season. After the shocking result though, The Florida State Seminoles missing the college football playoffs reveals an ugly truth about the NCAA playoff committee

For one, the committee looks for the credibility of the program by the strength of the schedule they play and they also look for the teams that can cash the most money from the most exhilarating matchups. 

The Seminoles do not lack in the first component as they play in the Atlantic Coast Conference, which is among the most competitive conferences in the country. Florida State picked up key wins throughout the season with victories against LSU, Miami, and Duke.

Where the Seminoles lacked in comparison is the ability to rake in revenue and create what the NCAA views as an exciting matchup. 

Due to injuries to Florida State’s primary gamechangers, the playoff committee does not see Florida State as a strong opponent. It’s also worth noting the two teams that made it over Florida State; 12-1 Alabama Crimson Tide and 12-1 Texas Longhorns. All three teams are Power 5 teams, but the difference between these teams and Florida State is the ability to maximize viewership and get money for the NCAA. 

The Alabama Crimson Tide was not a better team than Florida State, but they are the most prestigious football program in the country. With Nick Saban at the helm, the Crimson Tide will be able to rack in viewership for the NCAA compared to the limited Florida State Seminoles team. 

Saban also made a comment on November 30, saying that it would “be a disrespect to the SEC [Southeastern Conference] if there isn’t an SEC representation in the [CFP].” This comment most likely pressured the committee to put an SEC team into the playoff, considering the comment came from arguably the greatest college football coach in history. 

The Texas Longhorns are also another prestigious team, as they are one of the powerhouse teams in college football. They beat Alabama and ended the season 12-1. The CFP committee thought that if they placed these two teams in the CFP, they would be able to create more revenue for the NCAA.

Even though the Seminoles have a lack of elite quarterback play, the team has elite talent at every other position. 

Due to what they accomplished this season, the Seminoles should have at least been awarded the chance to play on the biggest stage of college football, regardless of who calls the snaps.. 

Next year may have a different outcome as the CFP format will grow from four teams to 12 teams

This change will allow more deserving teams like Florida State who missed out on the playoffs to be able to compete for a national championship. Fans like myself are very excited about this change, as it will create a more competitive and entertaining college football playoff. 

The new playoff format will add an exciting aspect to the college football playoff, as more teams will be selected which will lead to less room for teams being snubbed. Moreover, increasing the playoffs to 12 will create more revenue for the NCAA by having more games in the playoffs. The games will allow more excitement for the college football playoffs, as the margin for upsets will be significant.

The Florida State Seminoles experienced a historic season, but it was cut short due to a questionable decision by the CFP committee that had fans shocked. The decision by the committee shows that they don’t value the four best football teams, but rather the teams that they are able to benefit from the most.