BREAKING: ‘Big Fish’ Cast and Crew Offer Sneak Peak

Caleb Meranus
Huck Jennings ’25, who plays Edward, belts out a note with Young Will, played by Tavio Mares-Van Praag ’27.

In a surprise preview of the Upper School’s upcoming musical, “Big Fish,” the cast and crew took the stage during the community block to perform “Be the Hero,” a number from the show.

This sneak peek offered a glimpse into the talent and hard work that has gone into the production.

The cast and crew of ‘Big Fish’ sing a number during community block, in advance of Friday’s premier. (Caleb Meranus)

Originally a novel by Daniel Wallace, Big Fish was also adapted into a 2003 film by Tim Burton. The musical version first premiered in 2013 in Chicago.

According to Director Bill Jacob, the story centers around Will Bloom (played by Kyle Terino ‘24), a reporter and a concrete thinker, who has difficulties connecting with his dying father, Edward Bloom (Huck Jennings ’25), who tells outrageous stories about his life. Shifting between two timelines, the musical revolves around the relationship between the two characters.

“We’re very excited,” Jacob said. “The first scene takes place on the eve of the son’s wedding and there is a clash between the son and the father. The production has a strong core of leading roles, but it also has a lot of small roles for the ensemble to shine.”

Editors’ note: Get tickets for ‘Big Fish,’ showing Thursday at 7:00, March 1 at 7:00, and March 2 at 2:00 p.m. and 7::00 p.m.