Leicester City Wins League Title

Leicester City defied all expectations, winning the Barclays premier league title this week. After narrowly escaping relegation last season, they are now the champions. Leicester City’s odds to win the title seemed impossible at 1-5,000. There were three games of note this week in the Premier league.

Arsenal 1:0 Norwich City

The first match occurred on Saturday with a 1:0 win for Arsenal against Norwich. The only goal of the match occurred in the 59th minute with a right footed shot into the bottom left corner by Danny Welbeck. Arsenal is now only three points ahead of Manchester City in the league table and in order for them to maintain their spot in third place, they must continue to win games.

https://youtu.be/yftJqZ72rBI

Leicester City 1:1 Manchester United

On Sunday, Leicester City tied with Manchester United 1:1 with both goals occurring early in the match. The first goal occurred in the seventh minute, with Anthony Martial(Manchester United) shooting the ball into the bottom left corner of the net off of a cross from Antonio Valencia. The equalizer occurred in the 16th minute when Wes Morgan headed the ball into the bottom left corner from a cross by Daniel Drinkwater. This draw was crucial for Leicester City because it meant that Spurs would have to win their game against Chelsea if they wanted to remain in the title race.

https://youtu.be/e149PdpkFg8

Tottenham Hotspur 2:2 Chelsea

On Monday, Spurs drew Chelsea 2:2 in a very intense match. In the 35th minute, Harry Kane dribbled past the keeper and easily slotted home the shot. In the 44th minute, Spurs scored again with Son Heung-Min shooting the ball into the bottom right corner of the net off a through ball from Christian Eriksen. With the Spurs now leading 2:0, it seemed as though they were certain to win. In the second half of the match, the momentum switched with Chelsea scoring two late goals to tie up the game. In the 58th minute, Gary Cahill scored by shooting the ball into the bottom left corner of the net off of a cross from Willian. With the Spurs struggling to hold on, Chelsea finally broke through their defense, scoring a goal in the 83rd minute with Eden Hazard shooting the ball into the top right corner of the net off of a pass from Diego Costa.

This draw officially ended Tottenham’s chance to win the league, but they will still have to continue their strong play to secure second place.

https://youtu.be/V1fuyzy1490

With the league win for Leicester City, I will be ending my coverage of the 2016 Premier League.