School Launches Argentinean Exchange Program

For the first time in School history, this June, a handful of Upper School students will travel to Argentina, attend an elite international school and experience life in Buenos Aires.

Spanish teacher Mirna Goldberger will select ten applicants to represent Brimmer at the Northlands School, a bilingual school in Olivos, a suburb of Buenos Aires. Students will settle in with host families and live like a Porteño for three weeks, before returning home.

About five students from Northlands are set to come to Brimmer at the end of January.

“I think that any chance anyone has to experience full immersion, to get outside of their comfort zone and go to a different country — that’s something very special,” says Goldberger, who also directs the School’s International Student Exchange Program.

As a graduate of Northlands, Goldberger heard that her alma mater hoped to start an exchange program with a school in the Boston area, with the city’s reputation for excellent colleges and universities.

“I’m excited about developing a new relationship with someone from a different culture,” says Chloe Cochener ’19, who is planning on hosting an Argentinian student.

“I think it will help me become even more of globally-minded citizen,” says Abby Mynahan ’19, who is applying for the program. “I also think it will also help me improve my Spanish speaking skills.” Mynahan also mentioned that she is a little concerned about the Zika virus, as cases have been confirmed in Buenos Aires.

Since the exchange program to Argentina will take place in their winter, Goldberger says, students should not be worried about the Zika virus— as mosquitoes tend to breed in the hotter months.

To apply, students should submit an 800-word essay to Goldberger, explaining how and why the experience will prove transformative. More program details will be released in early November.