Delaney Exits Brimmer Stage

©David M. Barron/oxygengroup.com
Kate Delaney ’17 as The Cat in the Hat for the 2014 Upper School musical, “Seussical.” Photo by David Barron.

Jim Hawkins in Treasure Island, The Cat in the Hat in Suessical, and Ariel in The Little Mermaid. These are just a few lead roles that Kate Delany ’17 has played since arriving here in 7th grade.

Delaney began her acting and singing career as an 11-year-old at Ten Acre in Wellesley,  where she starred as Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz. “From there I was hooked,” she says.

“Kate Delaney knows how to listen on stage,” says Creative Arts Department Chair Bill Jacob. “She has excellent focus and a great imagination, and those talents, combined with a willingness to show up prepared for rehearsal and willing to work hard, make her among the best to grace our stage in the last few years.”

Here, Delaney further nurtured her love of the arts, appearing in every play and musical since Middle School. She is also a member of the Creative Arts Diploma Program, with a concentration in musical theater.

“I’ve always had a great theater experience at Brimmer,” Delaney says. “Mr. J really took a chance on me my freshman year in Treasure Island, and I think I took off from there.”

Delaney says she recently enjoyed playing the lead role in Candide. “That show was so fun and so hard, and I feel like it was one of the most rewarding plays I’ve been in so far,” she said, reserving her favorite role on stage for being in the ensemble for In the Heights, where she performed in an even larger array of songs and dances. 

But Delaney’s talents are regulated to just acting. In Greenline, she serves as the ensemble’s co-president, having also previously served as the mezzo section. She is also a regular performer at the School’s Winter Coffee House and Spring Singers Night.

It should come as no surprise that Delaney plans to study acting and singing in college, though she has yet to decide where she is attending.  

“I’m not necessarily going to major in the performing arts, but I definitely want to continue doing it,” says Delaney. “It has always been something I’ve done and I think I’d be a little bit lost without it in my life. It’s something I find very rewarding and honestly helps me grow as a person. ”