Editorial: Bravo, Creative Arts Students, Teachers

Stone Mcaren (Loud)

The Gator editorial board commends the Creative Arts Department for an incredibly successful (and busy) spring.

Earlier this month, the Upper School choir, Greenline, traveled to New York City to compete in the Heritage Festival, earning not only a first place title—along with the highest possible ranking for gold—but also the highest score in School history.

This is a tremendous accomplishment, and the editorial board extends its heartiest congratulations to Choir Director Frank Van Atta and all of the singers. We can only imagine the stress and busy hours you put into your work, and we are fortunate to celebrate such talented and dedicated performers. You make our community proud.

Below, watch Greenline perform ‘Jambo,” courtesy of English teacher Kenley Smith.

Along these lines, Van Atta and the Creative Arts Department also deserve applause for hosting Gospel Fest, which welcomed several independents schools in the area, as well as Newton North

For its part, this week, the Creative Arts Diploma Program put on a wonderful CAParet, showcasing an array of artistic talent. We are hugely impressed by all that our students are able to accomplish, and we want to recognize the one and only Bill Jacob for his tireless work ethic. Thank you for pouring your heart and soul into your work with students.

We would be remiss if we didn’t also commend the Art Department for working overtime to host the Small Independent School Art League. We can’t begin to fathom the time and organization it took to put up the incredible art displays around campus, which total more than 600 pieces from 16 participating schools.

The School is fortunate to have such dedicated art teachers, who continue to make a big difference in students’ lives. The Gator offers congratulations to students who earned special recognition in the contest (see award-winning entries below).

• Madeline Hsiao-Quipu (Print)

• Sadye Cheever (Escolator)

• Alison Rimas (Papel Amate)

• Sofia Coronado “Squeeze”

• “Sophia Spring” Poverty Poster

• Stone Mcaren (Loud)

• Megan Stander (Reverie)

• Megan Stander (Fleur de lis)

• Matthew Ayres (Luminous)

• Annie Gamen (Ironic)

• Anna Laine (Huipile)