Editorial: School Deserves Praise for Game-Changing Agreement

Head of School Judith Guild’s huge announcement of a partnership to use the athletic facilities at UMass Amherst’s Mt. Ida Campus is nothing short of game-changing (pun intended), and it couldn’t come at a better time­, especially as our athletic program continues to grow and flourish.

With this deal, student-athletes will also have additional fields and courts for soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, and tennis. Student-athletes can also use showers in locker rooms, which we don’t have here on campus.

For the first time, fans can also enjoy watching basketball games from viewing stands, which the home gym lacks.

This is a huge deal, and students should be sure to thank Guild, Athletic Director Jeff Gates, Assistant Athletic Director Tom Nelson, Business Manager Bob Rooney, and the Board of Trustees, who played a major role in cementing the one-year partnership.

Students should feel enormously grateful for this accomplishment, which occurred during UMass Amherst’s controversial acquisition of Mt. Ida College. This tremendous effort makes clear just how much the School cares about providing students with a superior athletics experience, as well as its creative thinking to get around space limitations on Middlesex Road.

Moreover, the administration remains committed to maintaining its agreement with Pine Manor College and Hellenic College for practice space.

Students should show their gratitude by taking quality care of the Mt. Ida Campus facilities. Remember, uphold our core values of respect, responsibility, kindness, and honesty—and do your best to leave the facilities in even better condition than you find them in.

Slider photo: Miles Best ’20 gives the thumbs-up while practicing on Mt. Ida’s turf field. Photo by David Cutler.