Car Talk: The NY International Auto Show

https://vimeo.com/125823420

As any gearhead can tell you, the New York International Auto Show is one of the biggest automotive events of the year. World debuts for this year included the Cadillac CT6, Nissan Maxima, Chevrolet Malibu, McLaren 570S, and Porsche Cayman. New York premiers included the Acura NSX, Chevrolet Volt, Ford GT, Honda Pilot, Mazda Miata, and Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell Hybrid—to name a few.

Here’s the scoop on some impressive models:

P1020582

Cadillac CT6 (above): Debuting at New York, this flagship sedan will go on sale in December and revive the luxo-barge image associated with American luxury, and especially Cadillacs. In an interview with show-goer and fellow Cadillac aficionado Joseph from New Jersey, I found out that even loyal Cadillac owners have mixed feelings about the new flagship sedan, the CT6. “I really like it. It doesn’t look bigger than the XTS but it has more options and a bigger engine. It’s trying to compete with the Mercedes S-Class and the BMW. It’s priced between $80,000-to-$90,000. I don’t think they will get it. It will take time to rebuild the name and compete with the other luxury brands.”

Manhattan-20150404-00122

Nissan Maxima (above): With love it or hate it styling, the new Maxima is lower and lighter. Nissan is aiming for the eighth generation Maxima to become a four-door sports car. The car has more horsepower and a refined interior, making it feel more upscale than the previous model.

P1020559

Lincoln Continental Concept (above): At long last, Lincoln has finally revived the Continental nameplate! While still a concept car, this model is speculated to see production within the next few years. Many also believe that it previews Lincoln’s new design language.

P1020575

McLaren 570S (above): This supercar is McLaren’s smallest and cheapest model, made to slot below the 670S (which was unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show). Unlike past models like the absurdly quick (and expensive) P1, McLaren insists the 570S can be used as a daily driver.

Aston Martin Vulcan (above): Unveiled at Geneva, 24 examples will be produced of this track-only hypercar. (Nope, it’s not road legal. Sorry.) The 24 models symbolize the prestigious 24 Hours of LeMons endurance, and the car was inspired by Aston’s GT motorsport history. The intense and intimidating design preview the design language of future Astons.

Manhattan-20150404-00133

Ford GT (above): Unveiled at Detroit, the GT will resume production after 10 years. The GT is homage to the GT40 racer that famously defeated Porsche at the 24 Hours of LeMons endurance race. Its aerodynamic body and massive air intakes scream “race car.”

Manhattan-20150404-00125

Mazda Miata (above): The new MX-5 Miata has large shoes to fill! The Miata has been loved for many years for bringing inexpensive and fun performance to the masses. The new 4th generation Miata is smaller and lighter than the previous model, and will be offered with a manual transmission as an option. Enthusiasts will continue to love the Miata for years to come. After all, it’s set a record as the best-selling two-seat sports car in history!

IMG-20150404-00099

Chevrolet Volt (above): Chevy’s plug-in hybrid gets a complete redesign for the 2016 model year. The Volt will deliver a higher all-electric driving range. The car weighs less while storing more energy with using fewer battery cells. GM CEO Daniel Akerson stated that the new Volt will be significantly cheaper than the current model.

P1020472

Scion iM (above): Andi, a Scion product specialist told me that Scion’s new iM hatchback features a standard body kit, alloy wheels, backup camera, as well as other premium options. “We’re very excited about it because there’s a couple things that our target market is looking for, and that’s to go on an adventure, and this vehicle will allow that for you… with four doors and the five door hatchback.” The iM also has an impressive 37 combined mpg. “That fuel economy with the sporty design will offer the best of both worlds.”