Editorial: COVID-19, One Year Later

The Editorial Board strongly encourages all members of the School community who are eligible to get vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as they can.

Today marks one year since the School announced campus would close early for March break due to COVID-19, leading to remote learning last spring and weekly COVID-19 testing this academic year.

As we reflect on challenges, there are also things to be grateful for—namely, the School’s efforts to bring students back to campus.

Since September, the School has enforced mask-wearing and social distancing, among other safety precautions recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Additionally, faculty members have been tested weekly since the fall, and students have been tested each week this semester.

These efforts have kept campus safe this year, allowing students to continue learning in-person throughout the year.

Administrators, teachers, and other staff members, we thank you for working hard to make sure each student has an option that works for them, and we thank you for helping keep campus safe.

— Gator Editorial Board

New routines have become a part of each school day, such as wiping down tables after classes and washing hands after entering the building. These changes may seem small, but they have been essential for keeping the school open and safe.

The addition of remote Wednesdays for all students has also been a recent change, providing a consistent learning environment for students once a week. This change allows students and faculty a reprieve from diligently washing hands and wearing masks all day.

Recently, the School has also brought in special treats for students. These have ranged from bags filled with hot chocolate and hand sanitizer to various types of food trucks. These treats have brought light to a difficult situation and gives students a fun way to change up their normal routine.

Being able to learn on campus is a luxury that not everyone has, and students should feel appreciative that they have the option to safely do so. All members of the School have made adjustments this year, but the community’s hard work is making this schedule possible.

For those who have been learning concurrently, the School has ensured that students have opportunities to engage with the community, as well as participating in classes. Through online programming, such as the Bissell Grogan Speaker Series, the virtual musical, and grade-level activities at the beginning of the year, concurrent students have opportunities to engage with happenings that traditionally would only be accessible on campus.

Whether students are learning in-person or concurrently, it is clear that teachers have put time and effort into crafting lessons that will suit both learning formats to benefit all students. With all the uncertainty this year has brought, one thing remains clear—the School is doing all it can to ensure students receive a high-quality education.

The School’s flexibility and efforts to ensure all students are engaged in class and community events has made this unprecedented year much easier to manage. Administrators, teachers, and other staff members, we thank you for working hard to make sure each student has an option that works for them, and we thank you for helping keep campus safe.