Varsity Volleyball Starts Off Strong

David Barron
The team gears up for one of its first games last season.

After the School’s volleyball program launched last fall, the team won its first game ever two weeks ago against Covenant Christian Academy. 

“We improved a lot this year, especially because we won our first game,”  Captain Elle Conquergood ’24 said. “I think we are closer as a team, even though we have a long road ahead of us.”

This year, the team also welcomed Sophia Sampaio ’26 and Ana Calanca ’26, who are new to the School, but not to the sport.

“Everyone is new to volleyball,” Calanca said. “It’s really cool to see how everyone’s learning and how we come together as a community.”

Sampaio agrees.

“We’re still working on the skills,” Sampaio said. “[Being on the team here] is different, but it is also an enjoyable experience.”

Jordyn Karp ’27, who is new to Upper School Volleyball, is also enjoying the recent success.

“I love how a lot of the Upper-Schoolers are really nice,” Karp said. “It’s crazy how we just started volleyball last year and we’ve already evolved a lot.”

Mimie Manigat ’26 said that the team should “try for everything, even little things like getting the ball or bending low.”

“Just try your best and don’t give up; don’t be upset when you mess up because that’s always a learning experience,” Manigat said.

Girls Varsity Volleyball play their next game this Thursday at 4:00 p.m., away against Boston Trinity Academy.

Editor’s Note: Mary Wang 26’ is also a part of the Girls Varsity Volleyball Team.