Op-Ed: Olympic Baseball is a Home Run

Even though baseball is considered to be America’s greatest pastime, it is great to see it branching all over the globe.
Wikimedia Commons
The official logo of Los Angeles 2028 Olympics.

After a successful 2023 World Baseball Classic, adding baseball back to the Olympics would be a home run.  

On October 16, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) voted to add five new sports to the 2028 Summer Olympic Games in Los Angeles. 

These sports include cricket, flag football, and squash making their debut, while baseball/softball and lacrosse are making a comeback. Baseball was last played in 2020, and lacrosse returns after its last appearance in 1908.

Team USA has won six baseball medals in the Olympics in seven appearances. This includes winning gold in 1988 and 2000, silver in 2020, and bronze in 1984, 1996, and 2008.

Even though 70 percent of MLB players are American, the majority of non-American players are from Central American countries such as Venezuela, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic.

People would think that with most MLB players being American, the US would steamroll the competition. While watching the World Baseball Classic, I realized that the US has some competition from various Central American countries.

After an eventful MLB season ending with the Texas Rangers as World Series Champions, seeing MLB stars like World Series hero and Cuban native Adolis Garcia on the international stage will be entertaining.

Photo of the U.S. vs China baseball game during the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. (Wikimedia Commons )

I am not the only one excited about baseball being reintroduced to the Olympics. Philadelphia Phillies designated hitter Bryce Harper expressed his hopes that the MLB will allow players to compete for their countries. 

Last time around, MLB players were not allowed to participate due to scheduling conflicts. Because both Dodger Stadium and Angel Stadium will be used for the Games, the MLB will have no choice but to take a break.   

The 2028 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles are set to begin on July 14, 2028, and run through July 30. The LA28 Games marks the third time Los Angeles has hosted the Games, including in 1932 and 1984

View Comments (1)
Jack Malloy
Jack Malloy, Journalist
Jack is in 11th grade and this is his third year of Journalism. He loves playing with his dog and watching sports with his dad. His favorite sport to watch is football and his favorite team is the Baltimore Ravens. He enjoys Skiing in the winter and going to Boston Celtics games

• Josh NNov 28, 2023 at 12:08 pm

What a great article. Informative and well written

Reply