Sports Roundup: Weeks of Jan. 11 and 18

Graphical digital sport news background with news text.

VARSITY GIRLS BASKETBALL 

Brimmer 24 CH-CH 25  

VARSITY 2 BOYS BASKETBALL 

Brimmer 48 Newman 56  

VARSITY 1 BOYS BASKETBALL

Brimmer 55 VA 70

On Saturday, the Gators visited Cathedral High School to take on NEPSAC AA leader, Vermont Academy. Vermont came into the game undefeated in AA while featuring several Division I prospects. The story of the game for Brimmer was too many turnovers with many of them leading to points on the other end. The team would eventually lose the game 70-55 despite valiant efforts from Mark Gasperini ’16, AJ Reeves ’18, and Adam Mikula ’16. Gasperini (11 points, 15 rebounds) did a great job defending Vermont Academy’s  Tyrique Jones, and keeping him off of the boards. AJ Reeves continues to show off his skill and athleticism as he made several high level plays in the game en route to a team high 16 points. He also was the primary defender on VA’s Bruce Brown, who put just 8 points on the board. Adam Mikula carried the team in the first half using his ability to score off the dribble and shoot the three pointer to lead the team with 14 first half points (16 overall).

Brimmer 55 Holderness 58

The Gators returned home on Friday to take on NEPSAC AA opponent Holderness School. The two teams had faced off previously at the River’s School with Holderness guard Thomas Jackson providing the majority of the scoring. The Gators came into this game with the plan to use their size advantage in the paint to create mismatches on both ends of the floor. The two teams played a closely contested game throughout, but the Gators fell short in the end. The Gators were plagued by foul trouble throughout the game with center Mark Gasperini ’16 (16 points, 12 rebounds) getting three fouls early in the game and his fourth in the opening minute of the second half. Despite the foul trouble, the Gators were in a one possession game but missed 9 of 21 free throws to seal their own fate. Junior Ju’Quan Mills played one of his best games of the season as he controlled the tempo and scored 10 points to go along with a team high 7 assists. Senior Adam Mikula pitched in with 13 points including a late three pointer to keep his team within striking distance.

JV BOYS BASKETBALL 

Brimmer 41 Fay 23  

The JV boys basketball team played away at the Fay School last night and won handily by a score of 41-23. The team remained in control throughout most of the game, led by point guard Tal Breiman with 16 points. On the defensive end, Jason Zhao assisted his team greatly along with center Charlie Smith who also scored 10 points in the victory. Likewise, forward Paxton Wong showed great hustle and scored 11 points. The team hopes to follow up last night’s win with another one tonight over Maimonides at 5:00 p.m. at home.

JV BOYS BASKETBALL

Brimmer 35 Maimonides 49

JV GIRLS’ BASKETBALL

Brimmer 12 Maimonides 34

Brimmer came out with a lot of energy, but they faced a strong team led by a female fourteen-year old Steph Curry. The Gators were in a deep hole at the half, but they did not get discouraged and came out aggressively in the second half. Buoyed by exceptional support from the fans, Sade Latinwo ’20 sparked a quick rally by taking the ball strongly into the paint. In the end, the Gators could not make up the deficit.

MS GIRLS BASKETBALL

Brimmer 12 Cambridge Friends 8  

The Gators faced off against an athletic and aggressive Cambridge Friends School team. As a result, Brimmer started forcing poor passes. Luckily, the Brimmer defense had learned from its previous game and really stepped up, as Cambridge set multiple high picks for their point guard, and Brimmer was able to stop the ball using help defense. At the half the score was tied 4-4.

In the second half, Cambridge played their game and Brimmer grew flustered by the aggression. However, that changed in the final few minutes of the game when the score was tied 8-8. In the final minutes of play, Brimmer regained composure and realized that aggressive play could be beat using superior teamwork and passing. Angeline Nur Dervisevic ’21 and Marni Sternberg ’21 led the team in points scoring 4 each, while Grace Donnelly ’22 and Kitty Huang ’21 both added a basket as well.

MS BOYS BASKETBALL

Brimmer 28 Carroll 32  

In their second game of the season, the Gators played a close match against Carroll School. Brimmer had good scoring from Asher Jaeckel ’22 and Ethan Roush ’21, while Niek van Dam ’21 and Riley Shafer ’21 played strong on the defensive end. Nicholas Totonchy ’21 earned multiple rebounds on both ends of the court. Brimmer started to make a come back in the second half, but fell just short. It was a good effort from both teams.

CURLING

Alex Pan’s ’16 team, Rumble Da Thumps, (Austin Camiel ’16, Thea Hill ’17, and Charles Begle ’20) crushed Winsor in the second end, prompting the Winsor team to concede the match. Final score: 7-0

Senior Nathan Greene’s team, Bannock, (Ned Manus ’17, Reinhard Yin ’17and Jonathan DeJesus ’18, played a very close match against Winsor. In the third end, they were tied neck and neck 3-3, forcing “skip stones”, where each player, starting with the Skips, try to get the closest stone to or into the House (circle target). The Winsor vice threw an amazing shot, which ended in the Button (the center) of the House, giving them the 4-3 win.